Wednesday, March 2, 2011

ideas as life as theater

Being at a Univeristy, especially this one, is an incredible experience.  I have the opportunity to network with so many incredible people that have the life experience to help me change the world.  Last week I had the opportunity to go to a screening of a student film production that is being released as a professional film at festivals across the world- and I went in the company of the casting director.  This morning my theater history class was visited by a creative executive from Disney who premiered a new short that hasn't yet been publicly released.  Today I had a discussion at work with a researcher about all of the many research ideas we have-and the fact that we are encouraged to jump right in and learn do something about the issues we care about.

What I love most of all is the opportunity to think.  Today I realized what it is about theater that strikes me so much.  With film, performance is caught on tape.  You can hold onto it forever and can replay it as many times as you want.  But with live theater, hours and hours of work go into one night with each audience.  For one night, you have intimate access to an audience.  You have the opportunity and responsibility to bring them into your world, make them think, and create something so magical that the audience will be grasping onto your every moment.  And that magic can never, ever been exactly reproduced.  To me, to create theater is to practice how one ought to live life- it's the process, the very moment that matters most.  Because it is in those pivotal, precious moment that everything happens.  There is no rewind, no fast forward, and no re-takes.  It's all about the energy of the moment. 

Ideas are life changing.  I have so many of them, every day.  And every day my life changes so much.  What would this life be without progression?

Awfully boring, for certain!

No comments:

Post a Comment