Sunday, November 27, 2011

Hypocrite

Emotional abuse is a big deal. It's a HUGE deal.  And I hate that most people can't understand how big of a deal it is.  Just because there aren't bruises or visible scars doesn't mean it doesn't affect the victims in a very real way.  In fact, research has shown that victims of both sexual and emotional abuse say that the emotional abuse was the worst past with the most long-term effects.  It hurts, and it matters.

And because emotional maltreatment doesn't leave scars, it can be very difficult to feel justified in the pain it causes.  This is something I know all too well.  It can require constant reassurance that yes, it was a big deal, and yes, it did really happen.

And it's why I feel like such a hypocrite when I realize how insensitive I can be to other people's experiences of emotional pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment