Friday, November 18, 2011

A day in the life of a very blessed girl

Everything about the past twenty four hours has been beautiful.

This time yesterday, I attended an amazingly insightful lecture in my LDS Perspectives on Psychology class on homosexuality, including thoughts from an address Elder Bruce C. Hafen gave at an Evergreen conference.
The Lord giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength.  They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint..."waiting on the Lord" is a special invitation to become an active, consecrated disciple of Christ.  It isn't to sit back passively and just wait on your hands.  I was moved to make changes in my daily pattern so I could "wait" with much more intense spiritual initiative.
Over the course of the evening I had the opportunity to serve a number of individuals in various ways.  It was amazing how wonderful it felt to help others, even though I'm fairly certain I benefited infinitely more.

This morning I went to the Provo temple with an old roommate.  I couldn't find my recommend, so I sat in the waiting room and by the fountain waiting for her to complete ordinances.  It was the perfect quiet time that I needed to just listen.  And all the while, I was blessed to witnessed the world's most incredible sunrise.

My group's presentation for my 304 class went off without a hitch, and I managed to get some clarity and studying in very quickly afterward.

In meeting with my favorite psychology teacher, he gave me much needed counsel on life and career, as well as offering me a job as his TA or research assistant for the semesters until I graduate.  While I loathe having to make decisions, I am so grateful that I have so many opportunities in my life.  These are the types of problems I would prefer to have!

After a nice chat with my dad, I came home to my new running shoes!  So I strapped them on, intending to go for a nice two mile run.  When I got to my halfway point, I just kept going.  My head turned toward the mountains, and I knew I needed to be up there.  So I ran.  And then I hiked.  I couldn't find the trails I was used to, so I climbed up cliffs and skipped switchbacks, finally finding the trail I wanted.  But along the way, I had multiple opportunities to stop and take in the beauty of this world and commune with my Heavenly Father.  The views that I witnessed and the conversations I had are indescribable.  All I know is how I felt, and for those moments, I felt infinite.

Life is amazing.  So many amazing things happen to us so quickly that we don't even have adequate time to appreciate them.  My life is full to bursting with opportunities, scary choices, and mostly blessings.

When life is too beautiful to keep to yourself, the only thing to do is pay it forward.

1 comment:

  1. Hey you don't know me but I graduated from BYU a few years ago. I heard about the "LDS Perspectives on Psychology" (and via google searches I found that I think you took the class?) recently and I really want to hear the lectures ... but like I said, I'm no longer at BYU. Did you by chance make audio recordings of the lectures when you took it?? Or do you remember anybody else that was in your class that I could contact with the same question? You can contact me at thejcmartin@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete