Saturday, November 26, 2011

Grateful

Yesterday was my very first Thanksgiving not spent at home with my family.  It was rough for me to be away from them, but I am so blessed to have awesome friends in Provo who are willing to share their friends and family with me.  We spent the afternoon in Sandy with a beautifully large family.  We ate, played basketball, jumped on trampolines, played house, and ate some more.  I especially enjoyed playing with Matthew, a spunky little boy who killed me with his laser gun dozens of times.  It was so nice to give thanks in a place where I really truly was grateful for the blessings of friends and family.  And it gave me cause to think of the many other things I have been blessed with in my life.  Namely...

My immediate family.  I don't know what I would do without all of them.  Even when we don't talk much, they mean the world to me and keep me sane.

My close friends.  They are scattered across the country and even the world, but they understand me.  I am grateful for the ways that they welcome me into their lives and allow me to share in their joys and struggles.

Words.  This semester I've made an effort to read more books that aren't for school, and it has been an excellent escape.  I appreciate people who share their words with us.  (Especially, of late, the Hunger Games series.)

Scriptures.  I don't have the words to describe how daily scripture study has changed my life and my relationship with my Heavenly Father, but I am so glad I have made the effort to make this a crucial part of my life.

Warmth.  I despise being cold, and I am grateful to live in a time and place where I can turn on the heater, heat up some hot chocolate, and cuddle up in a blanket.

Delicious Food.  An abundance of it, all the time, even as a college student.  Mimi's, Guru's, apple pie, juice, colorful salads, cottage cheese, blackberries, honey bunches of oats, tomatoes, soup, tea....

Good Finances.  I have been so much more financially blessed in the past few years than I ever could have imagined.  The way in which Father takes care of our needs when we are faithful is astounding.

Fun!  College is crazy, hectic and stressful, but I love that I am surrounded with people and opportunities that allow me to let loose and have fun at regular intervals.

Running.  I almost cringe as I write this one.  Running has not been a favorite (or even slightly preferred) pastime for me, but I've come to love and appreciate it this semester.  I appreciate that I can afford good running shoes and apparel.  And mostly, I am so grateful for a strong, healthy body that allows me to run far and fast, climb mountains, and explore.

Mountains.  My love for mountains may be irrational and seemingly silly, but mountains are often the source of greatest sanity in my life.  At any moment, I adore the ability to look up and be overwhelmed by the majestic beauty of the Mountains.  Whether they are covered in the green of pine trees, rainbow of falling leaves, or lines of pure white snow, they fill me with joy.

My life is so full.

No comments:

Post a Comment