Tuesday, March 13, 2012

OFF

If humans had switches, it would be easier to turn on and off at appropriate times.  We would be more efficient, and could better allocate our physical and emotional resources.  When I was little, we watched a movie called "Not Quite Human" about a robot boy who had been built by his father.  Sometimes I envied his ability to turn off and on.

 

Similarly, I sometimes envy Lieutenant Commander Data from Star Trek.  

 

Consider this exchange between Data and Captain Picard:

Lieutenant Commander Data: Captain, I believe I am feeling... anxiety. It is an intriguing sensation. A most distracting... 

Captain Jean-Luc Picard: Data, I'm sure it's a fascinating experience, but perhaps you should deactivate your emotion chip for now. 

Lieutenant Commander Data: Good idea, sir. 

[beep


Captain Jean-Luc Picard: Data, there are times that I envy you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment