Thursday, January 19, 2012

How I take kindness for granted

I found a  quote today from an article that I very much appreciated. (I don't agree with all of it, for the record, just the general sentiment.)
"It is much easier for us to place our emotional burdens on the shoulders of our wives, our female friends, our girlfriends, our female employees, our female colleagues, than for us to impose them on the shoulders of men."
Today I am grateful for the people in my life who don't do this to me.  I am quite literally crazy about some things- childhood trauma does that.  I'm very cognizant of this fact, and I routinely make fun of myself for it.  But here's the thing:

No one else does.

All of the people in my life who I really love-  my best friends, my boyfriend, my family -they never tease me about it.  They never use it to excuse their own behavior.  And they are usually very, very patient with me.  I have such wonderful friends.  I am so blessed to be surrounded by gentle people who understand that behind my stalwart front is an often fragile girl who needs love and respect.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment