Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Balancing

I believe we are to find a balance somewhere between skepticism and childlike ignorance.  Something that includes intelligence, humility, meekness, education, idealism, and rationalism.  This may sound (and often seems) impossible, but I believe it is a noble goal to work toward- and one that will bring us much true happiness.


Today I read the talk "Love is Not Blind" By Elder Bruce C. Hafen.  It is quite a good one, especially for any (all!) of us who seem to have constant questions, concerns, and struggles.  Especially right now, I'm struggling with how to be merge the adult-like responsibility I learned so early on with the meekness and joy of childlike simplicity- and I found this talk helpful.  


A few of the quotes from the talk I liked:


"I think some of these people are more interested in being certain than they are in being right."


"My suggestion is that some uncertainty is characteristic of mortal experience. The mists of darkness in Lehi's dream are, for that very reason, a symbolic representation of life as we face it on this planet. Many things are, of course, very certain and very clear, as is so beautifully represented by the iron rod in Lehi's dream; but, particularly to those who pursue a college education, there is enough complexity to make the topic of ambiguity worthy of discussion."


"we need to develop the capacity to form judgments of our own about the value of ideas, opportunities, or people who may come into our lives. We will not always have the security of knowing whether a certain idea is "Church approved," because new ideas do not always come along with little tags attached to them saying whether the Church has given them the stamp of approval. Whether in the form of music, books, friends, or opportunities to serve, there is much that is "lovely, . . . of good report, [and] praiseworthy" (Article of Faith 13) that is not the subject of detailed discussion in Church manuals or courses of instruction. Those who will not risk exposure to experiences of life that are not obviously related to some well-known Church work or program will, I believe, live less abundant and meaningful lives than the Lord intends. We must develop sufficient independence of judgment and maturity of perspective that we are prepared to handle the shafts and whirlwinds of adversity and contradiction that are so likely to come along in our lives. We should not be deceived by the clear-cut labels some may use to describe circumstances that are, in fact, not so clear. Our encounters with reality and disappointment are in fact vital stages in the development of our maturity and understanding."


"I hope that I will never be so aware of "reality" that I am unresponsive to the whisperings of heaven."

2 comments:

  1. "I think some of these people are more interested in being certain than they are in being right." - I love this - and I <3 you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that talk, especially when he explained why love is bound, not blind, and how we can come to gain a more sure knowledge of the gospel as we keep our covenants and love the Lord!

    ReplyDelete