Saturday, December 24, 2011

Potential Rant

So here's the thing.  Not everyone is good at everything.  But there are the things that are most important, and there are things that can be learned.  And the most amazing thing about being human is our capacity to change- IF we have the desire.  I believe in change.  Not only do I believe that my life is a constant process of becoming more what others and God need me to be, but I believe that others are on a similar journey.  Every day we do a little bit better, and then before you know it there's a world of difference between who you are and who you once were.

But the major problem here is that sometimes we don't let people change.  We pigeonhole them into this teeny-tiny little box of what we know about them, and then act as though that's the end.  But IT'S NOT.  Not even close.  People can change and improve and learn and grow in a million ways that we never dreamed possible.  But we have to let them.  We have to believe in them.  For every time we screw up or forget or just plain do the wrong thing, we have to allow ourselves to believe that we can be better.  And the people in our lives who aren't quite what we wish they would be- we have to love them for their potential.  We can choose to see our loved ones not as failures who stumble into the right thing every once in a while, but as good people who make mistakes and have faults.  When we love someone, we believe in them.  Not only in who they are, but in all that they truly have the potential to become.

I believe in my friends and family, and I believe in myself.  Around this time I'm reminded of the all the glorious attributes of the people I love.  I'm astounded by their sacrifice, kindness, creativity, and strength.  I love them, and their love for me is manifest in their words and actions daily.  There have been a lot of people that have passed in and out of my life, and right now I'm so grateful that I've held on to the very best ones, the ones who build me up and believe in my potential.  And THAT is love.

No comments:

Post a Comment