Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Commitment

It's something I struggle with.  Although I'm not entirely certain why (I'm sure it has something to do with how deeply I value others' perceptions and don't trust my own), I have a hard time being committed to things.  I've gotten a lot better, but it's something I've been trying to work on.  This Sunday, with commitment weighing heavy on my mind, a quote from President Uchtdorf's talk "Brother, I'm committed" was shared.  I love this talk, and want to share some of my favorite bits!

Commitment is a little like diving into the water.  Either you are committed or you are not.  Either you are moving forward or you are standing still.  There's no halfway.  We all face moments of decision that change the rest of our lives.  As members of the Church, we must ask ourselves, "Will I dive in or just stand at the edge?  Will I step forward or merely test the temperature of the water with my toes?"
There is a difference between intention and action.  Those who only intend to commit may find excuses at every turn.  Those who truly commit face their challenges squarely and say to themselves,  "Yes, that would be a very good reason to delay, but I made covenants, and so I will do what I have committed to do." 
In some way, each of us stands at a decision point overlooking the water.  Is it my prayer that we will have faith, move forward, face our fears and doubts with courage, and say to ourselves, "I'm committed!"

I love the bit about the difference between intention and action.  When we really, truly believe in something, we don't accept excuses.  When we know and feel that something is right, nothing can sway us.  Really, it all comes down to whether or not we are committed.  This is something I'm going to work on.  It's a huge idea that my blog was based of off: taking the plunge.  I'm often hesitant to jump all the way in, but it's the only way to really experience and learn what God needs from me.  So I'm going to do it, and it's going to be very wet and cold.  I just have to trust that it will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment