Sunday, January 23, 2011

Oh, the Irony

Today was not a good day to be sick.  I was supposed to sing in sacrament meeting, give a lesson in relief society, go visiting teaching, and get lots done.  But...nope.  After staying up late last night to finish my lesson, I woke up with morning with a doozy of a cold, and I think it might be strep.  I thought seriously about going to church anyway...but then I looked at the notes for my lesson and realized it wasn't such a good idea.  Turns out, the lesson I prepared today was for me.  So, since I don't get to share it with anyone at church, I'll write a few of my favorite quotes here.

From Elder Uchtdorf's talk "Of Things that Matter Most":

"Let's be honest; it's rather easy to be busy.  We all can think up a list of tasks that will overwhelm our schedules.  Some might even think that their self-worth depends on the length of their to-do list.  They flood the open spaces in their time with lists of meetings and minutia-even during times of stress and fatigue.  Because they unnecessarily complicate their lives, they often feel increased frustration, diminished joy, and too little sense of meaning in their lives."

"There is more to life than increasing its speed...We have to forego some good things in order to choose others that are better or best because they develop faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and strengthen our families."

"There is a beauty and clarity that comes from simplicity that we sometimes do not appreciate in our thirst for intricate solutions."

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"
~Leonardo da Vinci~

"We would do well to slow down a little, proceed at the optimum speed for our circumstances, focus on the significant, lift up our eyes, and truly see the things that matter most."

No comments:

Post a Comment