Tuesday, May 1, 2012

I know a lot about love, but not nearly everything.  The person I love most in this world is my little brother, Benjamin.  I know what it means to care so deeply about a person that you would do almost anything to protect them.  I understand the deep ache when the person you love does something that you know will hurt them, and I know the bittersweet joy in their tears as they learn lessons the hard way.  I know what it's like to lay awake for hours so you can caress the face and hair of the person who means more to you than anyone else on the planet.  To willingly sacrifice hours of needed rest for bike rides, blackberry picking, endless games of Phase 10, catch, basketball, or late night lullaby's.  To hold them tight in your arms and wish you could save them from all the hurt in the world.  I know love.

But there are so many types and depths of love.  I heard this song by Kate Nash today, and it made me think about a way in which I someday want to be loved.  It's silly, but that's part of why I love it.  Some lyrics...

I wish I was your favorite girl
I wish you thought I was the reason you are in the world
I wish my smile was your favorite kind of smile
I wish the way that I dressed was your favorite kind of style

I wish you couldn't figure me out

But you always wanna know what I was about
I wish you'd hold my hand
When I was upset
I wish you'd never forget
The look on my fave when we first met

I wish you have a favorite beauty spot
That you loved secretly
'Cause it was on a hidden bit
That nobody else could see
Basically, I wish that you loved me
I wish that you needed me
I wish that you knew when I said two sugars, 
Actually I meant three

I wish that without me your heart would break
I wish that without me you'd be spending the rest of your nights awake
I wish that without me you couldn't eat
I wish I was the last thing on your mind before you went to sleep

No comments:

Post a Comment