Friday, November 9, 2012

Day 9


I'm so grateful that regardless of what goes on in the world in general, I can build a fortress of goodness, fun, love, discipline, values and compassion in my own home.  The more I think about it, the more I realize that the majority of social organizations in this world were created to deal with the effects of broken and dysfunctional homes.  It would seem, then, that the greatest good we can do for society is to create and maintain a solid home foundation.

It's taken me a long time for my social activist mind to figure this out, but I'm glad I'm finally starting to get it.

What my home will look like:

A refuge of comfort and security, where you know you are loved and accepted.
An environment where hard work is taught and expected, with the understanding that anything can be accomplished if one is willing to work for it.
Pictures and decorations of things that are the most important adorning the walls.
Cozy nooks for cuddling and couches for lounging, because relaxing is an important part of a balanced life.
A collection of books and movies that teach good principles and values.
Ways to have good, clean fun: a basketball hoop, board games, classic non-violent video games, bookshelves, Foosball, baseball gloves,  music, coloring books, chalk, bubbles, crafts supplies, etc.
An attitude of gratitude that is communicated through constant service both in and outside of the home.
TONS of delicious (and yet secretly fairly healthy) food!
A place where expectations are clear, communication is two-way, and everyone feels just challenged enough that it helps them work hard to become better.
A stark absence of anger, contention, and harsh words.
Tickle fights and wrestling
Honesty
Abundant words of authentic praise
Gentle guidance
Honest discussions about serious things 
A rhetoric of value-laden words with which to talk about life's experiences
A place where truth is taught and lived
Teaching by example.

1 comment: