Thursday, September 20, 2012

meaningful moments

Recently I've been a little prone to complain about the daily grind of life.  About the dullness of waking up early every morning to go to the gym, attending a long day of classes, and then spending the evening after dinner with more homework.  Sleep, wake up, and do it all again.

But every once in a while, there are moments that shake things up.  And to be honest, they happen more often than I acknowledge, and they are what make life worth living.  They give life meaning.

Moments
...like seeing my boyfriend smile constantly while eating food, watching roadrunner cartoons, and chatting with friends.
...when I get to help a struggling student understand material and prepare for a test.
...when I accidentally step in a puddle, almost get upset, and then jump in on purpose!
...after class with my English professor when I come to understand that the "cowboy" ideal of men in our society is attractive, but true manhood is so different than John Grady Cole.
...when I lay in bed for ten minutes before getting up, contemplating the beauty of the world and the blessing of being alive.

It's easy to get hung up on the little things of everyday.  But life is so much better when I focus on making meaning in all of those moments.

Also, it's about time.  I'm going to read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment