Tuesday, February 21, 2012

For now: learning from students

Today I am indebted to my fantastic Psych 111 students.  In grading their papers, several students spurred thoughts and referenced conference talks that have helped give me the perspective that I needed today.  I know it's sappy, but it's a part of what is on my mind.  And this, for now, has helped to put my mind at ease while I focus on the other things that are more pressing at present.

From President Monson's Address in Priesthood Session of April 2011:
Perhaps you are afraid of making the wrong choice. To this I say that you need to exercise faith. Find someone with whom you can be compatible. Realize that you will not be able to anticipate every challenge which may arise, but be assured that almost anything can be worked out if you are resourceful and if you are committed to making your marriage work.
Choose a companion carefully and prayerfully; and when you are married, be fiercely loyal one to another. Priceless advice comes from a small framed plaque I once saw in the home of an uncle and aunt. It read, “Choose your love; love your choice.” 
President Howard W. Hunter said this about marriage: “Being happily and successfully married is generally not so much a matter of marrying the right person as it is being the right person.” I like that. “The conscious effort to do one’s part fully is the greatest element contributing to success.”

No comments:

Post a Comment