Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Clothesline Project

For my sociology of gender class this semester, we were required to find an area of inequality and do something to remedy it.  My research emphasis was on emotional abuse.  For the project portion, I had the opportunity to volunteer at The Clothesline Project,  a traveling event to raise awareness about abuse.  The event features t-shirts where those whose lives have been affected by abuse can tell their story, hanging them up on clotheslines, metaphorically "hanging out the dirty laundry".  

It was an intensely emotional, inspirational, and reverent experience.
I even got to create my own shirt.

Many times throughout the day I found myself wishing my friend and family could be there to witness the lives that were touched, the stories shared, and the awe-inspiring sense of it all.  

It is my hope that by sharing this, you might be able to grasp a small sense of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment